Categorized | Technology

The Effect of COR in Your Shot

The Effect of COR in Your Shot

COR, which is short for Coefficient of Restitution is technically the measurement of the energy transfer between the collisions of two objects. It can be expressed as a number between 0 and 1. Knowledgeable golfers define COR as a value that represents how far a shot can go using a particular clubhead given a certain swing speed.

The term COR entered and became accepted in the golf industry language when the USGA clamored about the increased distances golf professionals made way back in 1998. Blaming the newly released titanium drivers at that time, the USGA came up with a rule placing a limited value of COR of all driver faces. The decision was made without any hesitation or further research.

Then if USGA places 0.83 as the COR limit of driver faces, it means that the energy transfer between the driver head and the golf ball must not be more than 83%. Otherwise, the driver will not conform to the standard rules of golf set by the association.

But the thing is, there is always a loss of energy during a collision between the clubhead and the ball since the clubhead face flexes inward while the ball is compressed towards the face. Scientists believe that 80% of the lost energy comes from the ball while the other 20% comes is resulted by the clubhead. The higher COR, therefore, means that the clubhead is designed to allow more inward flexing to prevent the ball from compressing too much towards the club face. So clubheads with higher COR tends to go farther distance regardless of the clubhead speed.

This post was written by:

- who has written 12 posts on Golf News Line.


Contact the author

Leave a Reply